More About Our Port Information
Located around 160 kilometers North-east of Durban, the Port of Richards Bay was initially built in 1976 only for the export of coal, however has since expanded to cater for other bulk and break-bulk export cargo.
The thought for a port at Richards Bay was first investigated in 1843 by Commissioner Henry Cloete who, in the wake of surveying the Mhlatuze estuary, concluded that it had ‘little’ or no potential as a harbor.
In spite of this negative assessment, the need for a port to handle the export of South African coal resulted in a harbor being built anyway. A little while later, a dedicated railroad line connecting the Richards Bay Port with the areas of Mpumalanga and Gauteng was built and harbor operations came into full swing.
Today the port occupies approximately 2,157 hectares of land and 1,495 hectares of water, with space for expansion. Utilized fundamentally as an export terminal, the Port of Richards Bay took care of 89 million tons of cargo in 2005, with signs that this volume will keep on increasing. The port handles coal from KwaZulu Natal and Mpumalanga, and in addition timber and stone from the Eastern Cape and Northern Cape. It likewise has rail links with Durban, Swaziland and Mozambique.
African Bunkering and Shipping currently operate withing the Ports of Durban, Richards Bay and Cape Town and are in the process of expanding further to ensure that the service of all vessels calling ports in Southern Africa.